President Trump started his day on Twitter, making a mockery of his office and humiliating the United States. He is ending it the same way.
After attacking the wrong Theresa May on Twitter, the president blustered through a series of arrogant and uninformed claims, none more absurd than his rationale for why people oppose his heinous tax scam to devastate poor and working families — even raising taxes on the upper-middle class — to fatten the wallets of the super rich and mega-corporations. (Tweet below.)
Trump asserted that he understands the reason for the widespread opposition to his scam, but his claim is 100% devoid of fact. Democrats have been very clear that we oppose the plan because it would:
- Raise taxes on millions of middle class families – tens of millions middle class households face a tax hike.
- Slash taxes for the wealthiest and corporations while exploding the deficit – the GOP hands the wealthiest 1 percent at least 50 percent of the tax cuts, while sticking our children with the bill.
- Give new tax break to corporations shipping American jobs overseas – eliminating jobs, and driving down American wages & salaries.
- Ransack Medicare & Medicaid of $1.5 trillion – GOP will also use new deficits to justify further devastating Medicare & Medicaid.
And if that weren’t bad enough, the House version of the plan would also:
- Dismantle the state and local tax deduction – imposing an unfair double tax on middle class families, driving down home values, and endangering key funding for fire fighters, law enforcement and schools.
- Eliminate student loan interest deductions and lifetime learning credits – destroying a key benefit for young graduates and workers getting the job training they need to succeed in the 21st century economy.
- Eliminate the medical expense deduction – destroying a key deduction claimed by nearly 9 million American households, which helps families with children with disabilities, long-term care needs, a need for expensive fertility treatments, and many others.
- Impose new limits on the mortgage interest deduction – assaulting the dream of middle class homeownership in communities across America.
But sure, Mr. President. Keep telling yourself that it’s we are the ones who don’t understand.
The truth is, Donald Trump has always been a snake oil salesman, and this is his greatest con of all. You still have time to call your Senators and tell them to stop him at 202.224.3121.
The only people who don’t like the Tax Cut Bill are the people that don’t understand it or the Obstructionist Democrats that know how really good it is and do not want the credit and success to go to the Republicans!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 30, 2017