In the tumultuous aftermath of Trump’s defense of accused child molester Roy Moore, Republican candidate for Alabama’s U.S. Senate seat, the President has instead turned the attention to himself by now suggesting to a senator, as well as an adviser, that his incriminating Access Hollywood tape – in which he admitted to sexual assault – is inauthentic.
NYT: Trump suggested to a senator earlier this year that the Access Hollywood tape was not authentic, and repeated that claim to an adviser more recently. (In the hours after it was revealed in October 2016, Trump acknowledged that the voice was his.) https://t.co/7g8hwoI2Oy
— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) November 25, 2017
Trump himself confirmed the infamous tape’s legitimacy on October 12, 2016, a fact that seemed to escape the President as he issued perhaps his most easily debunked denial.
“This was locker-room talk,” Trump said during a debate with his Democratic rival, Hillary Clinton. “Certainly I’m not proud of it. I apologize to my family, I apologize to the American people.”
From, I believe, Oct. 12, 2016:
“This was locker-room talk. Certainly I’m not proud of it. I apologize to my family, I apologize to the American people.”pic.twitter.com/PfERAnQalb
— Greg Greene (@ggreeneva) November 25, 2017
Per a troubling report by Politico, behind the scenes, in what sources say were “animated conversations,” Trump expressed skepticism about Roy Moore’s accusers’ accounts and, furthermore, questioned why they were emerging now, just weeks before the election.
“The White House advisers said the president drew parallels between Moore’s predicament and the one he faced just over a year ago when, during the final weeks of the 2016 campaign, Trump confronted a long line of women who accused him of harassment. He adamantly denied the claims.”
Trump’s denial comes after a bombshell Washington Post report in which four women – a number that has since grown precipitously – stepped forward to accuse Roy Moore, at the time a District Attorney in his 30s, of engaging in sexual behavior while they were between the ages of 14- and 18-years-old. The story was corroborated by over 30 sources. After hearing his tepid defense in an interview with Fox News’ Sean Hannity, top Senators from both sides of the aisle have sided with the accusers and publicly urged Moore to step aside.
That did not stop the President from throwing his weight behind the embattled Senate hopeful.
Trump on Roy Moore: "We don't need a liberal person in there…he denies it. he denies it You have to listen to him." pic.twitter.com/Mro4mD0gm5
— Brianna Sacks (@bri_sacks) November 21, 2017
As for the President, at least 10 women have come forward alleging sexual assault by Trump before taking office. He has neither confessed to these crimes nor taken any degree of responsibility for them. Even in the face of damning evidence – such as the aforementioned Access Hollywood tapes – the President has refused to address the issue.
While Trump is accustomed to rejecting responsibility for a host of misdoings that can easily be traced back to him, this deflection is especially egregious. If anyone actually believes this absurd claim, they must be even bigger fools than the President himself.